Trying to overcome addiction is about more than just detoxing. Willpower alone is not usually enough to help you stay clean afterward. That is why a successful addiction treatment center will include an individual and group therapy program as part of your treatment plan.
At Symetria Recovery, our comprehensive addiction treatment programs include group therapy activities proven to treat addiction and substance abuse. For the most reliable evidence-based group therapy Illinois and Texas have to offer, call us today at 855.282.4819.
How Can Group Therapy Activities Help You Recover from Addiction?
Medication and individual therapy are expected components of an addiction treatment program. However, connecting with others by participating in group therapy activities can also be a valuable part of healing from substance abuse. You will often find group therapy provided as a mandatory part of a treatment program due to the efficacy of this treatment modality. What makes group therapy a valuable part of an effective treatment program? Group therapy activities offer additional benefits to those imparted by individual therapy sessions:
- A feeling of connectedness rather than the isolation one may feel when trying to recover on their own
- Encouragement from and for others in the group
- Being inspired by the successful recovery of other group members
People who cultivate a support network find more success in recovery than those who try to do it alone. Take advantage of the group therapy sessions offered by your treatment program to maximize your recovery experience.
What Types of Group Therapy Activities Are Used for Addiction Treatment?
If you enroll in a treatment program for addiction, you will get the most out of your program when you attend group therapy sessions. Not all group therapy activities are focused on talking about substance abuse. Instead, many activities are designed to help members feel calmer and more focused since stress is one of the biggest triggers for substance use. Some of the group therapy activities you may encounter throughout your treatment include:
- Checking in – This is probably one of the most commonly used group therapy activities. It is a way for members to get to know one another and express anything on their minds. In addition, members can share the good and bad of their recovery process while receiving support from others which helps develop empathy and connection.
- Mindfulness techniques – Meditation and breathing exercises can help you feel more relaxed and less reactive to stress. In addition, mindfulness techniques can be a powerful tool to help you deal with cravings, negative thoughts, stress, and other challenging situations that may otherwise disrupt your recovery.
- Cooperative games – Many different games can be used as part of addiction treatment. Cooperative games require working together with others to achieve a common goal. In addition to providing entertainment, these types of games nurture social skills, communication, and problem-solving.
At first glance, you may not realize the benefits of group therapy activities for recovery. However, you will learn valuable skills that can transfer to different areas of your life and impact your ability to stay clean. Just a few of the benefits you can get from taking part in group therapy are:
- Increased resilience to stress
- Improved relationships
- Feeling more in control of your life
- Better overall mental and emotional health
- Higher chance of long-term recovery
Group therapy, in conjunction with individual therapy and medication, can set you up for long-lasting recovery.
Heal in a Caring Community with a Group Therapy Program at Symetria Recovery
When you are ready to recover from addiction for good, reach out to Symetria Recovery. Our group therapy program plays an important role in the Symetria Method, a science-driven approach to long-lasting recovery. To learn more about how our group therapy activities can help you achieve your sober living goals, call us today at 855.282.4819.