To experience full and lasting recovery from addiction, family therapy needs to be provided as part of an addiction therapy program. Family counseling and support groups pay attention to the larger picture of a person’s substance use disorder.
At Symetria Recovery, we realize the importance of family support for addiction. The Symetria Method is an evidence-based approach to healing and long-term recovery from addiction, including a well-rounded itinerary of medication-assisted treatment (MAT), individual counseling, group therapy, and family therapy. Call us today at 855.282.4819 to determine how our family support groups can help you and your family work together toward your recovery success.
How Can Family Support Groups Help with Recovery?
When you suffer from substance use disorder, there is more to it than your own personal struggles. To heal fully from addiction, you need to consider the bigger picture. There are many reasons people turn to substances, although they often revolve around stress and strained relationships. Your living environment has a huge impact on your thoughts, feelings, and behavior. Work and family tend to be top priorities in life, and when there is a problem with either one, it can weigh heavily on you, and you may struggle to cope.
While stress from dysfunctional family dynamics may have led you toward substance use, healing those relationships can be the key to lasting recovery success. Here are some ways that family support groups can help you on your journey to sober living:
- Addressing unhealthy patterns – Family members can be stuck in a cycle of negative behaviors that reinforce the substance use disorder. Some examples are children serving a parental role toward a parent who suffers from addiction, spouses acting as a social worker or parent toward their partner who is addicted, and parents taking on the role of detective in response to a teen who struggles with addiction. These dynamics are unhealthy for all involved and can affect trust and mental well-being.
- Learning healthy ways to support a family member with addiction – Sometimes, a person does not realize that their behavior may be contributing to the problem when their loved one has an addiction. Receiving family counseling can help you learn which behaviors are beneficial and hurtful to a family member’s recovery.
- Making a plan for treatment and post-treatment – Since your environment has such a powerful impact on your behavior, it makes sense that you will need a healthy, supportive environment to help you stay on the road to recovery. Family support groups can help you develop a plan to provide a loved one with the right environment conducive to sober living. Usually, this plan will begin early in the treatment process so family members can learn about changes that can make a difference in their loved one’s healing. In addition, arrangements need to be made regarding where the patient will live during and after treatment, and substances like alcohol and prescription drugs may need to be removed from the home.
What Are the Benefits of Family Support for Addiction Treatment?
Family counseling and support groups offer benefits that go beyond addiction treatment. For example, addiction therapy programs that offer family support for addiction find that their patients:
- Have healthier relationships with their family members
- Feel more supported during and after treatment
- They are more likely to recover for the long term
- Feel more confident about addressing family problems in the future
- Feel more prepared to deal with stress constructively
Heal as a Family with Family Counseling at Symetria Recovery
You can improve family relationships while working toward recovery with family support groups as part of addiction treatment. Symetria Recovery applies a comprehensive treatment approach to recovery with family counseling and support groups as an integral component of the program. To find out more about how we can help you heal from addiction as a family, call us today at 855.282.4819.