Addiction is often used as a coping mechanism to deal with emotional pain. If the root causes of addiction are not addressed, then the behavior will continue. Many people overcome the physical effects of addiction only to relapse because the mental components were never treated.
At Symetria Recovery, we believe in the efficacy of co-occurring disorder – sometimes referred to as “dual diagnosis” – treatment programs. Our co-occurring disorder treatment centers in Illinois and Texas provide the perfect environment for people to receive high-quality addiction treatment.
Co-Occurring Disorders Defined
The term “co-occurring disorder” refers to the condition in which a person has a co-existing mental illness and substance use disorder. For example, a person may have an opioid or alcohol use disorder as well as depression.
Often, people don’t just have two neatly diagnosable ailments at once. It is possible to have multiple conditions at the same time. For instance, post-traumatic stress disorder could complicate the recovery of a person who has both substance use disorder and anxiety. It is not uncommon to have more than one psychiatric condition at the same time.
The truth is that people from all walks of life are affected by mental health disorders and as a result may use drugs as a way to self-medicate. When people self-medicate, it may make them feel better temporarily. However, this short-term solution often actually makes the symptoms of mental health disorders worse. As the mental health disorder symptoms worsen, the person will often use a larger amount of drugs more frequently to ease the emotional pain. Addiction is often the result.
Benefits of Co-Occurring Disorder Treatment Centers
The numerous benefits of co-occurring disorder treatment programs such as Symetria Recovery include:
- Receive comprehensive treatment – The co-occurring disorder treatment programs at Symetria Recovery are designed to help you find balance by healing your mind, body, and spirit. This kind of comprehensive treatment will give you the foundation that you need for long-lasting recovery.
- Repair relationships – Addiction may have caused you to distance yourself from friends and family. Getting help from a co-occurring disorder treatment plan can help you control your emotions so that you can rebuild those strong interpersonal relationships that make other parts of life easier.
- Learn coping skills – Often, people turn to drug use as a way to manage the inevitable stress of life. In Symetria Recovery’s co-occurring disorder programs, we equip you with healthy outlets to help you cope with stress, such as yoga or meditation.
- Identify triggers – The triggers in your life are the people, places, or situations that cause you to want to use drugs. Co-occurring disorder treatment programs will help you identify triggers and create strategies to avoid them.
- Build a support network – The truth is that there will be challenging days in recovery. Our Symetria Recovery team will be there for you every step of the way with the support and encouragement you may need to get through the tough times.
Receive Compassionate Treatment in Our Co-Occurring Disorder Programs
For some, dual diagnosis treatment programs can be the foundation of long-term recovery. At our Symetria Recovery co-occurring disorder treatment centers in Texas and Illinois, people heal underlying emotional wounds or mental health disorders that may be fueling their addiction. If you feel that mental health and addiction services from one team of specialists may be the key to your recovery, reach out to our team today.
Our Symetria Recovery team has years of experience with co-occurring disorder treatment, and we’re happy to answer any questions you may have. Contact us today by calling 855.282.4819 or completing our secure online form. Let Symetria Recovery become part of your team by connecting with us today.